The Broome High School Royal Regiment was once a HUGE part of my life. I ate, slept & dreamed about the "band" business. I began my career in Spartanburg Dist 3 at Cowpens Junior High School in 1984.
In addition to teaching at Cowpens I was the assistant at Broome HS. The first time I worked there for 9 years. I left to work full time at Cannons UMC. In 1995, the Lord led me back to now Cowpens Middle School until 1999. I have some great memories from these years and I think about my band buddies often. One thing about being in the band, the years may come and go, but the bond of a "band family" will last forever! The stories and memories we shared Saturday night brought much joy and laughter. I had a great time!
These are 2 of the directors I worked with...Lisa Kussmal, alias "Kuss", and Eddie Connolly. It was a such a pleasure to spend time with each of them and catch up. They both taught me so much and I count them as dear friends.
There were so many former students there also. It was wonderful to hear about what they were doing and see their children. The first class of seniors I taught at BHS are now 40 years old. OMG, I am ancient!
These are the alumni from the "Kussmaul" era.
These are the alumni from the "Connolly" era! Notice I am running my mouth! Imagine that!!!
Some of my favorite band memories....
- talent night at band camp,
- the night Eddie and I were making a lion costume for our Wizard of Oz show at 2 am and he tried it on and his dogs about attacked him! They had their teeth bared and were growling! It was hilarious.
- Being on the ski lift at Sugar Mountain after midnight and one of our assistants started it. Why in the world would they leave the control room open?
- The many trips on school buses. Sometimes it felt like I was born on that bus!!!
- Seeing your students grow musically and become great people!
- Being a part of a wonderful family...
I know some of you out there in blog world were part of a band. What's your favorite memory??