Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Psalm 3

O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me,"God will not deliver him."
Selah (Selah here signifies a lifting up of the voice, to cause us to consider the sentence as a thing of great importance.)
Psalm 3:1-2
David wrote this during a time of great stress and fear. He was forced to flee from his palace in the dead of night, across the brook of Kedron with a few faithful followers to hide and protect himself from his rebellious son Absalom. Absalom, having stolen away the hearts of the people of Israel, entered into a conspiracy with them to dethrone his father and place himself in his stead; and the people so increased continually with him, that David thought it advisable to flee from Jerusalem. (2 Samuel 15:12)
So, in these verses he is voicing his concerns and complaints to God about the situation he is in. I found an interesting note in one of the commentaries I read that Jesus walked this same path in the dead of night on his way to the Garden of Gethsemane with a few faithful followers the night he was betrayed!
Maybe you have never had to flee physically from an ememy, but have you ever felt like David? The first thing I learned from my study of this verse it to notice where David turned in his time of need...not to his advisors or his friends, but directly to God. He didn't look anywhere else for help but God. I confess to you, all too often, I find myself looking everywhere but to God.
Turn your eyes upon Jesus...and the things of earth will grow strangely dim.
See you tonight! Love you!

0 comments: