Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Silence....

How do you feel about silence? Does it make you uncomfortable?

That was one of the hardest things for me to learn as a counselor...to allow for times of silence, so your client could process what is happening or to gather their thoughts to express what they need to say...ya'll know I LOVE to talk. Silence makes us uncomfortable most of the time, but it is really important...

About three weeks ago (1 month after the warranty expired!) the sound of my TV went bye bye...and due to vacation & car taxes, not a whole lot of $$ left to purchase a new one or enough time to see about getting this one fixed...but, I am beginning to think God's hand was in the demise of the volume on my TV because there has been a lot of silence at my house these days....at first I played the radio all day, but then I quit doing that...I have found I can get more done in silence...no distractions for the queen of ADD! But I have also discovered that it is really easy to listen to that still small voice...

When there's complete silence, there are NO distractions to crowd His voice out. I am finding myself these days so hungry for God...I want to become a better listener. I NEED to hear what He has to say.

Psalm 46:10 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible.

Actually you need to read all of Psalm 46...He is GOD. Enough said...He warrants and deserves my undivided attention.

I encourage you to find some time for silence. Turn off the radio in your car, sit outside in a quiet spot. Be still and know that He is God. Listen closely...He is speaking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey JuJu- The first part of our lesson in Sunday school is about prayer and our communicating with God. The second lesson is about listening and one of the questions is.., "Are you uncomfortable with silence?" This lesson focuses on going to our quiet place not only to talk to God but to listen. I too like the silence sometimes. I love to go out on my porch during a thunderstorm and feel the power of the winds and see the beauty in God's creation. Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day.

Megie

Matt Johnson said...

I've turned my TV off and been reading A LOT. I feel as though I've been going through detox. It's a wonderful feeling.

jkstrib said...

Hmmmm...I guess I need to read my SS lesson! My face is red!!!!

Anonymous said...

Julie- I reveived notice tonight about two young brothers who were in an accident a few weeks back. The younger brother, Thomas Melton, was killed and his older brother, Jonathan Melton, is at the Shepherd Center. When I started writing to Steve Dyar on the CaringBridge site I heard about a couple of other people who were on that site as well.So I've been writing to them. While I was checking for an up-date on Brook Waddle's site I read the message about the Melton family. We need to remember these very special people. Brook Waddle is on the CaringBridge site. She was the young lady who was paralyzed in an auto accident one year ago. She has just recently returned home. Jonathan Melton is on CarePages.com and his site name is Big Melton. I just thought that maybe we could all pray for these young people and write to them to encourage them. Brook has certainly been an inspiration to me and a true example of courage. Just thought I would share this and maybe you could pass it along. Another site on CaringBridge is Laddie Harrison. Laddie is home now and seems to be greatly improving. The Dyars know him. Anyway.., thanks for sharing this.

Love ya-
Megie