Thursday, June 25, 2009

West Virginia

I never cease to be amazed at what God can do when His people are obedient and answer the call to go and serve Him and His children. We had an awesome week in Milton, West Virginia. Here is the story of our week on mission with Him.This is the existing church building. As you can see from the date, God has been working in this church for a very long time. Many of the members have had many generations of their family worship and serve in this church family.The week before we arrived a group of folks from Alabama were already hard at work. This is what the site looked like the Sunday before they began work. Thanks to Janet, my new friend from Alabama for sharing her pictures with me!Wait until you see how God raised this church up from the slab in just two weeks!This is my roomie, Peggy checking her email after we arrived. You had to stand or sit in just the right spot to get a connection!This is what the church looked like when we arrived for worship on Saturday night.Our pastor, DJ, preached on Saturday night and Sunday morning. He is a awesome pastor. I am grateful for his passion for preaching the Word of God. He is doing an awesome series in Mark right now...it has been life changing and attitude adjusting for me!!The Susannah Missionary Baptist Church Choir. Man, these folks could sing. You could see their love and passion for the Lord as they lifted their praises to Him. Great time of worship and preaching on Sunday morning.
After church, we ate lunch at Sonic. All the ladies sat together so we could get our 2,000 words in. See Eric Glover if you need an explanation about that statement!

They did just as much talking as we did! :)These folks know how to host a party. I have never seen so much food in all of my life. This was the best thing I ate that night...homemade banana ice cream. Yummo!
During the week, I served on the kitchen crew. This is where we prepared all the meals...

May I add, no one was harmed in the process of my cooking! God is so good!
Breakfast one morning!
This is Billy, one of my most favorite people at AMRBC. Such a servant!

One of the best parts of the week was getting to spend time with some of the young families in our church. As you can see, we had lots of precious children with us. They had a ball looking for bugs, lizards, and such. They are getting ready to go on a hike in the picture. Amber, April, Laurel and Tammy, you are all great moms. It was a blessing to spend time with you and your families. We were also blessed to have some teenagers with us. This is Stephen and Alex (Vickie's son!) They did work hard too!
Jeffrey worked hard on the kitchen crew. He is a real grillmaster. Those pork chops were delicious!
Rachel icing a cake for dessert one night. Samantha worked hard in the kitchen too! Jennifer, Shannon and Vickie, I know raising teenagers is one tough job, but your children were awesome last week. I enjoyed getting to know them and watching them serve the Lord. Thank you for sharing them with us!

Some of our men working hard! They worked from 6:30am - 5:30pm every day in the blazing heat.
On Thursday night, the church fed us again. Did I mention these folks are great Baptists and know how to do a potluck supper. It was delicious! After supper we enjoyed a great time of worship. They sang The Anchor Holds...one of my favorite songs of all time.
After a great time of worship and sharing, DJ's dad, Johnnye, shared from the Word. He and his friend, Glenn, started the Central Alabma Christian Builders 20 years ago. It was a privilege to work with this great group of folks from Alabama!
The AMRBC group on Thursday night! I love all these folks. We had a great time serving the Lord together.
This is what thebuilding looked like on Thursday night. They continued to work on Friday through lunch. I had to leave to get back for a very special wedding, which I will share about soon.
The best way to sum up this week is to use the very words of God from Ephesians 3:20-21:
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

4 comments:

Donna Mills said...

Glad you all made it home safely. And I am also glad no one was harmed in the process of your cooking! Ha Ha!

Jennifer said...

I had a WONDERFUL week w/ you and I am glad we got our 2,000 words out.. You did an awesome job with the bible study and I thank for following where God takes you. The people in WVA were just the sweetest and I can't wait to go again another day.. I do wish we were there to see the steeple being put on I am sure that was a wonderful site to see... Love ya girl...

Anonymous said...

Julie----------what an amazing blog. You did good. It was such a pleasure and honor to get to know you this week, I really enjoying being around you. Can't wait til we meet again. Oh one more thing---I'm still looking. Love in Christ, Ginger

April said...

Hey! Great post!!! I want to get a hold of some of those pictures. What ever is easiest for you. Love you and really enjoyed spending the week with you!!