Tuesday, April 21, 2009

From the heart of a servant...

Several weeks ago, our choir hosted an auction for the youth choir's summer mission trip. We asked for donations from our church to auction off. This is one of the items I won. It is a beautiful sterling silver pitcher. It is definitely something I probably won't use very often because I don't do much entertaining and Molly would not be one bit impressed if I filled her water bowl with it! :) But, it will have a place of honor in my home because I bought this item to remind me of the person who donated it and the heart with which he did so. This pitcher was donated by Billy. He is a wonderful servant at our church. The day of the auction Billy and I pulled into the parking lot at the same time. He opened his trunk to reveal what he had brought to donate. Billy loves a good yard sale and had some neat treasures to share with us. When I saw the pitcher, I asked him where he found it. He told me it belonged to his mother. I immediately said, "Oh, Billy, we can't ask you to part with that." His response was, "This is for the Lord. I won't ever use it." Tears sprang to my eyes and I determined in my heart I would bid on it to remind me of a great lesson I learned in the parking lot that day.

I can't wait to hear what God does with the donation of a silver pitcher as He takes the humble offering of His servant and uses it to spread the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

snookmama said...

Consider us even on the crying today. I love that Billy! Thank you for sharing that story with me. I look forward, as DJ says, to taking orders from Billy when we get to Heaven.

Barbara Hoffman said...

What an awesome story.... I just love the way Billy gives himself.

Jennifer said...

Billy is a treasure himself and yes he is such a servant of the Lord. I forgot to ask you about his pitcher and what happen to it and if the person knew what a great treasure they have. I am so happy that you were the person that got to take it home. I can't wait to hear all about what that pitcher does in God's kingdom. The world needs more Mr. Billy's...