Monday, April 30, 2007

That Thing We Do...

My friend Jed brought me a cercie (an unexpected present) a couple of weeks ago. It was a little book called The Air I Breathe by Louie Giglio. It lives up to the expression "dynamite comes in small packages"! The first chapter is called That Thing We Do and I want to share some excerpts with you...

"Everyday, all day long, in every place, you worship. It's what you do. It's who you are."

"We are all worshipers, created to bring pleasure and honor to the God who made us.

"Should you for some reason choose not to give God what He desires, you'll worship anyway...simply exchanging the Creator for something He has created"

"Worship is our response to what we value most."

"...everybody has an altar. And every altar has a throne."

"So how do you know where and what you worship? It's easy. You simply follow the trail of your time, your affection, your energy, your money, and your allegiance. At the end of that trail you'll find a throne; and whatever, or whomever, is on that throne is what's of highest value to you. On that throne is what you worship. Sure, not many of us walk around saying, 'I worship my stuff. I worship my job. I worship this pleasure. I worship her. I worship my body. I worship me!' But the trail never lies. We may say we value this thing or that thing more that any other, but the volume of our actions speaks louder than our words. In the end, our worship is more about what we do than what we say."

The question for I have to ask myself is this: Since worship is 24/7 for the rest of my days, does everything I do show I value Jesus Christ above all else and He is seated on the throne of my heart?

0 comments: